Forest Town Nature Conservation Group (FTNCG)
The Forest Town Nature Conservation Group (FTNCG) works to improve nature conservation sites within and around Forest Town, including Spa Ponds and the Rushpool Open Space. Our charitable object is to “promote for the benefit of the public the conservation, protection and improvement of the physical and natural environment in and around Forest Town”. The Trustees of the charity are: Lorraine Dowen (Chair), James Healy (Vice Chair), Shlomo Dowen (Secretary), Josh Dowen (Treasurer), Alan Alberry, Mark Fretwell, John Gibson, Phil Goodall. and Richard Smith
Upcoming FTNCG Meetings and Events
UPCOMING FTNCG WORK DAYS
FTNCG carry out volunteer work on wildlife sites. If you wish to join us then please contact us in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org
Spa Ponds – Workdays (see Spa Ponds Facebook page):
- Work Day on Saturday 6th of October. See Facebook event
- Work Day on Saturday 20th October.
- Work Day on Friday 9th November.
- Work Day on Friday 23rd November.
- Work Day on Saturday 24th November.
- Work Day on Saturday 8th December.
- Work Day on Saturday 12th January 2019.
Spa Ponds Nature Reserve
- Local Wildlife Site purchased for the community by FTNCG in May 2014 and maintained by FTNCG volunteers
- Free to access and open to the public (walkers, cyclists and horse riders)
- Main entrance off Clipstone Drive, opposite White Gates Pub, Forest Town
- Medieval ponds with links to the historic Clipstone Park and to King John’s Palace in Kings Clipstone
- Wildlife includes birds, toads, damselflies and dragonflies
Walking around Spa Ponds:
- Please keep dogs on leads near the ponds to protect the wildlife
- The Mansfield InStep walking group organise walks around various sites, including Spa Ponds.
- The Mansfield Ramblers‘ Mansfield & Sherwood Walking Group also visit Spa Ponds, sometimes part of much longer walks.
- Walking guides that include Spa Ponds have been produced by: Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group (‘Warsop Walks 9’), Nottinghamshire County Council (‘Mansfield Woodhouse
Heritage walks‘), Friends of Thynghowe (‘Walking Through Clipstone Park‘), Sherwood Forest Trust (‘Clipstone Park Trail‘), Mansfield District Council (‘Your guide to Local Nature Reserves & Parks in Mansfield District‘), Sherwood Forest Information (‘Kings Clipstone route 2‘) and others.
Donating to FTNCG
- A cheque made out to: “Forest Town Nature Conservation Group” posted to: 25 The Birchlands, Forest Town, Mansfield NG19 0ER
- Bank transfer to the Forest Town Nature Conservation Group bank account, Sort Code: 089299 Account Number: 65459324
- The BT MyDonate facility available via https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/foresttownnatureconservationgroup
FTNCG is Charity number 1157957, which means donations are potentially eligible for Gift Aid. Those making donations should consider whether their donations would be eligible for Gift Aid, because if they are then they should fill in a Past, Present and Future Gift Aid Declaration Form or a FTNCG Single Donation Gift Aid Declaration Form.
You can also buy Robin Hood Lottery tickets with some of the proceeds going to FTNCG: https://www.robinhoodlottery.co.uk/support/forest-town-nature-conservation-group
FTNCG Members and Supporters are asked to help by:
- Liking our Facebook page and posting photos of Forest Town wildlife to it
- Becoming a member and coming to our meetings, events and work days (see above)
- Making or growing products to share and sell
- Recording and monitoring species (see forms below)
- Helping research and document the heritage of Spa Ponds and Clipstone Park
- Spreading the word about Conservation and Heritage activities in Forest Town, and helping us promote the work of the Forest Town Nature Conservation Group
FTNCG Forms and documents
- Historic sightings summaries:
- Spa Ponds Water Quality Testing Results (Google Spreadsheet)
- Spa Ponds Trees (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2016 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2015 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2014 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2013 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2012 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2011 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- A5 FTNCG Flier (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2018 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2017 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2016 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2015 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- Spa Ponds Ecology Report and Management Plan (EMEC Ecology, March 2015) (PDF Format)
- Spa Ponds Heritage Management Plan, including Appendices (Google Drive)
- Generic FTNCG Risk Assessments (DOCX format)
- FTNCG Minutes Archive
- FTNCG Wildlife Sightings Report Form [Updated April 2015] (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Wildlife Single Site Sightings Report Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Wildlife Sightings Spreadsheet Template (XLS Format)
- FTNCG Membership Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Past, Present and Future Gift Aid Declaration Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Single Donation Gift Aid Declaration Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Data Protection Policy (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Constitution (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Local Green Space Nomination for Spa Ponds (PDF Format)
Click here for third-party websites and documents of interest to FTNCG members and supporters (including a list of FTNCG affiliations)
- Spa Ponds (inc. photos from 1986)
- Pre-2014 Main Gallery
- Forest Town 2013 Gallery
- FTNCG Summer 2012 Activities
- Photographs of the Rushpool open space
- Photographs of Forest Town wildlife by Jeff Smith
- Photographs of litter in Forest Town
- Photographs of the Forest Town bit of Vicars Pond
- Birth of a Dragonfly
- Visit / ‘Like’ our FTNCG Facebook page
- Visit / ‘Like’ our Rushpool Open Space Facebook page
- Visit / ‘Like’ our Spa Ponds Facebook page
- Join our Spa Ponds Heritage Facebook group
FTNCG Contact Details
- Phone Shlomo on 01623 640 134
- E-mail email@example.com