The Forest Town Nature Conservation Group (FTNCG) works to improve nature conservation sites within and around Forest Town, including Spa Ponds and the Rushpool Open Space. Our charitable object is to “promote for the benefit of the public the conservation, protection and improvement of the physical and natural environment in and around Forest Town”. The Trustees of the charity are: Shlomo Dowen (Chair), James Healy (Vice Chair), Josh Dowen (Treasurer and Secretary), Alan Alberry, Diane Simpson, John Gibson, Lorraine Dowen, Mark Fretwell, Phil Goodall and Dennis Platts.
If you are visiting Spa Ponds, or if you live nearby, you will notice that we are doing more work removing trees down the bridleway than usual. This is because we have made strategic decisions to make the most of our available resources – other than our volunteers – while we are restricted to work parties of only six volunteers per working group. We have allocated funds to make safe old and overhanging trees, after two trees came down in recent high winds. We have also included removing sycamore as part of our preparations for our Keep the Forest Buzzing project, which will eventually lead to rich swathes of wild flowers and grasses along the bridleway. Our apologies in advance for a period of mess and disruption, and BIG THANKS to everyone who is helping us improve Spa Ponds for the future.
Upcoming FTNCG Meetings and Events
UPCOMING FTNCG WORK DAYS
- Saturday 31st October from 10am – Spa Ponds Work Session – transplanting trees from the area between Ponds 1 and 2, and clearing around the stream (wellies required for this bit). Places are strictly limited, due to Covid, so please email email@example.com to book your place.
- Wednesday 11th November – Spa Ponds Work Session with training from Andy Hollis – focussing on Pond Hill Wood (above Pond 1). Places are strictly limited, due to Covid, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
- Saturday 14th November – Spa Ponds Work Session with training from Andy Hollis – focussing on Pond Hill Wood (above Pond 1). Places are strictly limited, due to Covid, so please email email@example.com to book your place.
If you wish to join us then please contact us in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org
Spa Ponds Nature Reserve
- Local Wildlife Site purchased for the community by FTNCG in May 2014 and maintained by FTNCG volunteers
- Free to access and open to the public (walkers, cyclists and horse riders)
- Main entrance off Clipstone Drive, opposite White Gates Pub, Forest Town
- Medieval ponds with links to the historic Clipstone Park and to King John’s Palace in Kings Clipstone
- Wildlife includes birds, toads, damselflies and dragonflies
Walking around Spa Ponds:
- Please keep dogs on leads near the ponds to protect the wildlife
- The Mansfield InStep walking group organise walks around various sites, including Spa Ponds.
- The Mansfield Ramblers‘ Mansfield & Sherwood Walking Group also visit Spa Ponds, sometimes part of much longer walks.
- Walking guides that include Spa Ponds have been produced by: Nottinghamshire County Council (‘Mansfield Woodhouse
Heritage walks‘), Friends of Thynghowe (‘Walking Through Clipstone Park‘), Sherwood Forest Trust (‘Clipstone Park Trail‘), Mansfield District Council (‘Your guide to Local Nature Reserves & Parks in Mansfield District‘), Sherwood Forest Information (‘Kings Clipstone route 2‘) and others.
Donating to FTNCG
Donations to the Forest Town Nature Conservation Group can be made by any of the following means:
- A cheque made out to: “Forest Town Nature Conservation Group” posted to: 25 The Birchlands, Forest Town, Mansfield NG19 0ER
- Bank transfer to the Forest Town Nature Conservation Group bank account, Sort Code: 089299 Account Number: 65459324
FTNCG is Charity number 1157957, which means donations are potentially eligible for Gift Aid. Those making donations should consider whether their donations would be eligible for Gift Aid, because if they are then they should fill in a Past, Present and Future Gift Aid Declaration Form or a FTNCG Single Donation Gift Aid Declaration Form.
You can also buy Robin Hood Lottery tickets with some of the proceeds going to FTNCG: https://www.robinhoodlottery.co.uk/support/forest-town-nature-conservation-group
If you use Amazon to shop, you can also support FTNCG via AmazonSmile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1157957-0
FTNCG Members and Supporters are asked to help by:
- Liking our Facebook page and posting photos of Forest Town wildlife to it
- Becoming a member and coming to our meetings, events and work days (see above)
- Making or growing products to share and sell
- Recording and monitoring species at Spa Ponds Nature Reserve (see forms below)
- Helping research and document the heritage of Spa Ponds
FTNCG Forms and documents
- Historic sightings summaries:
- Spa Ponds Water Quality Testing Results (Google Spreadsheet)
- Spa Ponds Trees (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2016 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2015 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2014 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2013 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2012 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- FTNCG 2011 Sightings (Google Spreadsheet)
- A5 FTNCG Flier (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2020 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2019 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2018 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2017 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2016 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- FTNCG’s 2015 Report and Accounts (PDF Format)
- Spa Ponds Ecology Report and Management Plan (EMEC Ecology, March 2015) (PDF Format)
- Spa Ponds Heritage Management Plan, including Appendices (Google Drive)
- Generic FTNCG Risk Assessments (DOCX format)
- FTNCG Minutes Archive
- FTNCG Spa Ponds Wildlife Sightings Report Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Spa Ponds Wildlife Sightings Spreadsheet Template (XLS Format)
- Those recording butterflies and moths are advised to use the Butterfly Conservation recording template.
- FTNCG Membership Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Past, Present and Future Gift Aid Declaration Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Single Donation Gift Aid Declaration Form (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Data Protection Policy (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Constitution (PDF Format)
- FTNCG Local Green Space Nomination for Spa Ponds (PDF Format)
Click here for third-party websites and documents of interest to FTNCG members and supporters (including a list of FTNCG affiliations)
- Visit / ‘Like’ our FTNCG Facebook page
- Visit / ‘Like’ our Spa Ponds Facebook page
- Join our Spa Ponds Heritage Facebook group
FTNCG Contact Details
- Phone Shlomo on 01623 640 134
- E-mail email@example.com
- You can also contact us via our FTNCG and Spa Ponds Facebook pages