Thanks to all who took part in the project. The Heritage Management Plan and appendices are available from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxx0kdC79NtxdGtsY1dvOWhiU28
Spa Ponds Nature Reserve is owned and managed by the Forest Town Nature Conservation Group (FTNCG), and is open to the public at all times.
This year-long project focusing on the heritage of Spa Ponds (also known as ‘Gara Ponds’) is taking place 700 years after the creation of the medieval fish ponds.
The project will provide participants with training and guidance from historians and community archaeologists, including MBArchaeology.
To better appreciate Spa Ponds’ heritage value, participants will develop an understanding of the basics of archaeological and historical research and landscape fieldwork, and will explore written records in archives, libraries and museums.
We will also gather memories, photographs and artefacts of the site, including through the project’s Oral Histories element.
The Forest Town Nature Conservation Group received a Heritage Lottery Fund Sharing Heritage grant of £8,500 to help us pay for this project
Experts will provide mentoring support and deliver about a dozen workshops and training sessions in 2017 covering:
- Trees and Natural Heritage (May/June)
- Landscape Surveying (June)
- Day School exploring the Mediaeval Landscape of Sherwood (7 July)
- How to Present Findings (September)
News and updates
- Those wishing to take part in the project activities are asked to complete and return the following form:
- If you have memories, photographs or artefacts from Spa Ponds or want to get in touch for any other reason then please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (you can also read more details about the oral histories element of the project if you are interesting in sharing your memories of the site)
- Everyone will be welcome to attend our public displays and talks public displays and talks.
- Click here to see details of planned project activities for 2017
- Check out and join the Spa Ponds Heritage Facebook group